ABC Friends Inc represents the community’s interest in the ABC, its independent national public broadcaster. It works with similar organisations in each state and territory, and in national campaigns.
We believe that a healthy, independent and comprehensive national public broadcaster is critical to Australia’s democracy and culture. The ABC’s independence – from political and commercial influence – enables it to report without fear or favour. The ABC’s responsibilities include promoting Australian culture and, as a comprehensive broadcaster, to cater for a diversity of interests in the community.
Personal Information is defined in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) as information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether the information or opinion is true or not, and whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
Sensitive Information is defined in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) as including information about a person’s racial or ethnic origin, political affiliation, religious affiliation, mental health, disability, trade union or other professional or trade association membership, sexual preferences and criminal record, and other health information.
What kinds of Personal Information does ABC Friends (Vic) collect and hold?
The kinds of information that ABC Friends (Vic) collects will depend on the nature of your involvement with the organisation:
When you first contact us or get involved in one of our campaigns, the Personal Information we collect generally includes email address, first name and last name, home and mobile phone numbers, and home address.
If you choose to get more involved in our campaigns, the Personal Information we collect generally includes the actions you take, the donations you make (and other information you may give to us when donating, like bank details or credit card details), your phone number, information you give to us when completing surveys, like gender and date of birth, and information contained in your feedback or comments.
We may also collect limited Personal Information, such as your email address and telephone number, when you participate on a website or social media app that we administer.
Some Personal Information which we may collect during your engagement with us is Sensitive Information. For example, we might collect information about your campaign priorities or political views. This is because we want to understand what you’re passionate about. Knowing your priorities, values and opinions helps us to communicate with you better.
If you are, or apply to be, a ABCF (Vic) staff member, the Personal Information we collect about you generally includes employment details like job title, salary and work practices, information you give to us when applying for a job, like past employment details, referee’s comments, performance reviews, and performance complaints. The Sensitive Information we may collect includes health information and criminal record information.
If you are, or apply to be, a ABCF (Vic) volunteer, we may also collect Personal Information including your address and contact details, and Sensitive Information which may include health information and criminal record information.
Why do we collect, hold, use and disclose your Personal Information?
We never collect, hold, use or disclose Personal Information other than in pursuit of our stated vision, mission, and our functions or activities. We make sure that we only hold, use and disclose Personal Information for the purpose for which it was collected.
We will not use or disclose Personal Information for a purpose other than that for which it was collected unless:
- you have consented to this use or disclosure.
- we are required to, or authorised to, by the law or a court or tribunal order, or
- otherwise in accordance with applicable privacy and data protection laws.
We collect, hold and use Personal Information about you so that we can:
- run effective campaigns in line with our goals and values
- communicate with you about our campaigns and activities and give you the opportunity to participate in our campaigns and activities
- provide you with opportunities to donate to our campaigns and activities
- analyse and research our member and donor base so that we can better retain and attract members and donors and grow our people powered movement.
- measure the effectiveness of our campaigns and activities so that we can improve them and scale our impact,
- administer any services we provide, or
- deliver administrative functions like responding to feedback or complaints, processing donations, providing receipts and improving our website.
How does ABC Friends (Vic) collect Personal Information?
We collect Personal Information from a range of sources, including:
- our website, for example if you sign a petition and give your email address, name and/or other details,
- in person, over the phone, by email and via online surveys,
- through documents such as resumes from job applicants,
- from publicly available sources,
- via cookies on our website (see more below),
We make sure that our collection of Personal Information from these sources is legal and fair.
How does ABC Friends (Vic) keep your information safe?
We take the security of Personal Information very seriously and have in place a range of measures to protect your Personal Information from misuse, interference, loss, and unauthorised access, use, modification, or disclosure.
Disclosure of Personal Information
ABC Friends (Vic) never sells, licences, or rents your Personal Information. However, there are some purposes for which your Personal Information will be disclosed, including:
- when you sign a petition, open letter or similar on our website, ABC Friends Victoria will disclose your first name, last name and postcode to the target or targets of the petition or open letter.
- when you contact an MP or similar through our systems, we may disclose your first name, last name, postcode and email address to the MP or similar.
- sometimes we disclose limited Personal Information to trusted third parties providing services to ABC Friends, such as trusted call centre providers, direct mail providers, digital advertising platforms and research organisations that we work with.
If you don’t want your Personal Information disclosed in these ways, please let us know either at the time we collect your information or at any later time.
You can contact us on:
ABC Friends (Vic) Staff and Volunteers
Only authorised, properly trained staff and volunteers have access to our databases. Our staff and volunteers are bound by confidentiality obligations, and this extends to ensuring that Personal Information collected by ABC Friends (Vic) is kept confidential.
How can you access or correct your Personal Information?
You have the right to request access to the records of Personal Information that we hold about you. You also have the right to ask us to alter your Personal Information if you think the information is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, irrelevant, or misleading.
To make such a request, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org setting out what information you wish to access, your name and an email or mail address at which we can contact you. We will ask you to provide identification so that we can ensure that you are the person to whom the Personal Information relates.
How can you report a potential breach of your privacy?
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us via phone or email and set out the nature of your concern.
In order to effectively address your concern, we may ask you to provide further information. Once we have received all the information we need from you, please allow us 28 days to respond to your concern. If you are unsatisfied with our response, you may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.oaic.gov.au
Our contact details:
A note on Cookies, Website and Social Media Analytics
When you visit our website or access our social media, a record of your visit is logged. Your browser supplies data like your IP address and/or domain name, your operating system, the date, time and length of your engagement and the actions you took.
This information is used to compile statistical information about the use of our website and social media to help us improve our content delivery. If you do not want cookies to be used when you visit our website, you can adjust your browser settings to disable them.
We also use Analytics to collect demographic data on website visitors and social media users. The kind of information we collect includes city, gender, age, interests, device and browser. No personally identifiable information is collected via Analytics. This information is also used to continuously improve our services.
Where can I find more information?
Review and updates
Dated: 5 October 2021